Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Layover

I am enjoying the people watching on beautiful concourse C in the Minneapolis / St. Paul airport. I have seen and heard many things I wish I hadn't including a man (in white velcro shoes) shouting loudly into his phone, "Let me talk at him!" and a woman wearing Zumba pants in a Coca-Cola print with Sketchers Shape-ups.

I digress.

I'm still digesting (both the food and the experiences) a fabulous Fourth of July weekend. It seems like I should process it all before I head off on my next adventure.

I'm so lucky to have Mike, Angie, Luke, and Dottie as part of my life. They just, basically, let me move in for the weekend.

The festivities started with pool-side Popsicles on Friday afternoon. Excuse Dottie's exposed parts. A suit that fits the girl on the bottom doesn't fit the girl on the top.


It continued with a modified Shrimp Cobb Salad for dinner. We quadrulped the amount of bacon, doubled the amount of shrimp, cooked the shrimp in the bacon grease, doubled the dressing, added cucumbers, added green and yellow peppers, added red pepper, and added (of course!) cheese.

The salad was a rousing success. Try it. Well, don't try the recipe. Try our version.


A little shot of the post-dinner mess on Friday.


Somehow, I didn't take any pictures of Friday night's strawberry balsamic jam adventure. Angie? Did you take any?

Saturday started bright and early with a trip to the Farmers' Market and butcher. I was trying to explain to Dottie and Luke (I'm not sure why) that some people and animals are vegetarians. Dottie shouted, "No!" and shoved a beef stick in her mouth. Geez. I love that girl.

After a little nap (for the grown-up and the kiddos), I embarked on a fun-aunt-Barb babysitting adventure. There was lots of swimming, more popsicles, and some coloring.

Dinner on Saturday night included this amazing cheese, bread, garlic dip concoction and steaks on the grill. The bread recipes suggests you jam one pound of thinly sliced cheese in the bread. You will get impatient, and you will think, "Sheesh. I don't need all this cheese." You would be wrong. Just keep jamming that cheese in there. You will love it.


And, after dinner Luke needed to go for just one more swim. Man. I love that kid. He can always make me smile.


Not pictured:
Sunday's day of rest
Memphis's sheer exhaustion after Friday and Saturday
Monday's fireworks extravaganza
Luke and Dottie's play date with Miri and Henry
Packing for CA

4 comments:

AnilĂș Magloire said...

Haha! I love people watching at the airport. We need pics!
Happy to hear you had such a great weekend :-)

justem said...

Oh boy. That cheesey bread thing looks amazing. And can you believe I didn't actually get any photos of the four of them together? Or at least Dottie and Miri! That would have a been a perfect photo!

gabbyfek said...

you are the greatest aunt barb! i love your stories about hanging out with those kiddos. just makes me smile.
xoxo.

angieoh! said...

so I am a little nervous that both of my children seem to be clothing challenged. they must get that from Mike.

We had a blast and I thnk we should eat that salad like EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND> With that bread.

Have a great trip. Already miss you horribly.