Sunday, November 25, 2007

Turkey and Catch-Up

Love that title!
No worries. I did eat any ketchup with my turkey.
I did, however, eat lots of other goodies--but, I'll save that for later.

Let me kick off with a little pre-Thanksgiving goodness.

I got a package from my Secret Santa. Hooray for Hambly and velvet Thickers and Noteworthy and Fontwerks and Bazzill!


I also got this package of fabulousness from d. Reeves. I've been lusting after these albums since I got my first one in the August Cocoa Daisy kit. I couldn't resist a few more. I know. I went overboard. (If you are looking for one, I suggest you go right to the source. Diane was awesome to work with!)


And, last but not least, Thanksgiving.
Angie and Mike cooked up a fabulo-so bird.
My contribution to Thanksgiving was the monkey bread. It's this great bread covered with dill and garlic and butter that you break off in tiny little hunks. Delish! Well. The bread was officially the only catastrophe of Thanksgiving. I was perilously close to starting an oven fire as all of the butter from the bread flowed freely into Angie's sparkling clean oven. Smoke filled the house; the smoke detector did not go off. The bread was partially raw when we finally removed it from the oven for fear of flames. Brad cleaned the oven after dinner. Sorry, Ang!


My plate. Notice the lack of gravy and the abundance of rutabaga. YUM!


Brad's plate. Notice the abundance of gravy. YUCK!


The pie.

And a little ping pong to burn off some of the Thanksgiving calories. Despite my crazy faces, strange sounds, and over-all lack of ping-pong ability (I am certainly no Forrest Gump when it comes to ping-pong), I do believe Brad and I were victorious in a 2-1 defeat. It is possible, though, that Mike and Angie were distracted by laughing at my ridiculous ping-pong skills. I think a Christmas re-match might be in order.


Friday I did just short of absolutely nothing. Figured you didn't need to see any pictures of that.

Yesterday we did The Target Run. I know I've asked this before, but how does one spend $85 at Target and not buy a single fun thing!??! I do have enough toilet paper, paper towel, and dish soap to carry me comfortably into 2008, though. Figured you didn't need any pictures of that, either.

Then, I worked my tail off writing a paper (the same paper I've been threatening to write for at least a month now!) about the legality of school vouchers. It's in rough shape. So, if school vouchers (or citing legal sources) is your area of expertise, let me know. Said paper could use some serious assistance.

Today. . . .we are going to get our Christmas tree. I have a new outfit to wear, including a fabulous red puffy vest that will nicely compliment my fantastic new boots. I'm stopping for a White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha. Natalie (and her parents) are coming along. I'm all set with a Curious George does Christmas book for her to read in the car. The iPod is charged and filled with Christmas tunes. I have to go plug in the camera battery. It is going to be some serious Christmas fun.

Thanks for hanging in there for my lengthy holiday-weekend play-by-play.

Stay tuned. There are some exciting things coming in the near future:

It won't be long before I will tell the story of how I got Brad to get me my birthday present nearly two weeks early! Bwahahahahahahaha.

And I so need to tell the tale of the vintage holiday cocktail dress purchased on eBay.

And I'll probably need to share a picture (or two) from today's holiday festivities.

13 comments:

Nicole said...

sounds like a great time was had by all Barb...well, except for the monkey bread, lol.

can't wait to see your tree!!

casey boyd said...

That looked like quite the spread Barb!! Made me hungry just looking at the pics.

Have a great day getting your tree!

Dana said...

Oh the pie looks divine! I love the dish it's in. ;-)

joanne (spagirl) said...

sounds like fun... and a great sb layout! did you get pics of the smoke??
have fun tree shopping... post pics!

Lyn said...

glad you had a fun thanksgiving... there's always next year for the monkey bread!! i started our oven on fire the first week we moved into our new house!! LOL
CONGRATS on your upcoming publication!!

Steph said...

Secret Santa was very good to you!! Cant wait to hear about the tree! Ours is up-- and lit-- but not decorated yet. Maybe tonight?

Erin said...

yummy pics!
love the secret santa goodness and the d. reeves minis are amazing...I'm hoarding a few myself!

justem said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I can't wait to see the Christmas fun photos...and what's this about a dress????

Jenn said...

Yes Barb, I too am intrigued about the dress! Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving. Have fun decorating!

Josie said...

Glad to hear you had such a fun holiday weekend. Love the fiestaware for your spread...I need to try that monkey bread sounds delish!
I want to see pics of the tree!!

Valerie said...

Looks like you had a good turkey weekend!! Can't wait to see pics of your decorated tree!! I think we're getting our soon too!!

Retro Girl said...

Just getting caught up....

Congrats on the mini book feature for Spring '08...
Great turkey-day photos! Sounds like great fun...don't worry bout the monkey bread challenge lol. My mom almost caught her whole turkey on fire...(top rack touched the oven roasting bag...flames...flapping pot holders...turkey juices ran everywhere...much laughter LOL)

Your posts are getting me in the holiday spirit I didn't think I could muster up! Thanks! :-)

Chiara said...

ooh now I am hungry. Glad you had a great holiday