Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering doesn't seem like enough


Brad and I went to our community's 9/11 ten year remembrance ceremony this morning. It was organized by local fire and police departments. They placed a flag for each fire fighter or police officer who lost their life on 9/11. Uniformed officers placed a white carnation for each civilian who lost their life on 9/11 while our community band played. A bell-tolled to honor fallen fire fighters. Rifles saluted fallen police officers. A bagpiper played amazing grace. A World War II veteran and a veteran from the current war in Iraq played an echo-version of "Taps." And, a six-foot tall, twisted piece of steel from one of the World Trade Center Towers to be placed in a community memorial was dedicated.



We went to the Memorial with Nicky, Natalie, Katelyn, and Jonathan. Chris, in his dress uniform, was part of the Honor Guard. Natalie and Katelyn (and many of the other children in attendance) were a little restless during the ceremony. Part of me was annoyed that they didn't remember or understand. Part of me wanted to pull them all aside and teach them a little lesson about what happened. Part of me was so thankful that they haven't had to know anything like 9/11 during their lifetimes. I wondered what the "I remember where I was moment" will be for them.

I watched a lot of television today. My favorite was Diane Sawyer's story with the children who were born after their father died on 9/11. Seeing the pictures of how much these kids have grown in 10 years reminded me of the resilience of the human spirit.

Watching television today transported me to 10 years ago. I remember being glued to the television in my college apartment, watching news coverage that included shots of the smoking rubble in New York on a giant screen in the student union, and listening to NPR coverage of the event while at work the evening of 9/11. I remember not being able to get enough images and information in the days after the attacks.


I (Brad, actually) bought not one but two newspapers today looking for the comic strip tributes to 9/11. We ended up with a New York Times. There were no comics in it, but there was a great tribute section. And, we ended up with a local paper that did have the comics I was looking for. I loved seeing how these artists used their talent to remember.

I remembered where I was when I heard about 9/11. I was sleeping, actually, for the last few minutes before an early morning (8 or 9 AM) class. The phone rang. It was Brad's dad calling to tell us to turn on the television. I got up and went to class - which was canceled. I ended up at the union watching television coverage with a friend.

I know a few people who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan as a result of America's war on terror that began that day. I am subject to the same airport security, terror threat levels, and daily concerns about safety that are part of every American's life.

But, mostly I have lived my life since 9/11. I have had so many opportunities, life events, and happy, ordinary days during the past ten years that those who lost their lives on 9/11 were never able to experience with their own families and loved ones. The impact on my life - my sacrifices - have really been nothing in comparison to those who lost friends and family on 9/11 or the war that has ensued.

Going to a memorial, watching some television coverage, and writing a blog post hardly seems like enough of a tribute.

3 comments:

justem said...

I didn't see the Diane Sawyer story. I might need to find it.

I like your paragraph about your life. I was just a kid in college, like you. I was never directly affected, but it still hurts. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be a family member or a friend.

angieoh! said...

What a great picture of Chris and Jonathon, I really love it.

gabbyfek said...

what em said-- exactly.
love you.
xoxo.