Remember the Big Mouth, Big Bowl: Soup Edition?
the soup competition in which someone else's shrimp bisque performed better than my minestrone?
the soup competition where I discovered that I do, in fact, love split pea and ham soup?
the soup competition where I realized that rutabaga was an excellent edition to chicken noodle soup?
The success of the first Big Mouth, Big Bowl challenge made it easy to decide that this would be an annual event. Each year our cook off will feature a different food that can be served in a bowl. This year's competition (scheduled for January 2012) is all about pasta.
I have only three short months to decide which pasta recipe I want to enter. I am definitely going to go with a red sauce. I'm all tossed up, though, about which is the best contender.
I did love a bolognese from Cook's Illustrated.
(And, there is another bolognese in their latest issue that I want to try.)
And, I dream about this super simple tomato sauce with butter and onions.
But, then I also love spaghetti puttanesca.
I really liked this short rib pasta sauce. Brad wasn't a fan.
If I was going for a sauce-less pasta I would - without a doubt - make Cacio e Pepe.
Dilemmas, dilemmas. I guess I will just have to eat lots and lots of pasta between now and January.
5 comments:
Even though I am not a tomato fan - I think that I'd go with the simple tomato sauce w/butter & onion. Mix it up with some organic tomatoes, and then make your own pasta. :)
I volunteer to be a celebrity taste tester. Okay...I'm not a celebrity. But I bet I'd make an awesome taste tester. ;)
rach ray's christmas pasta is another amazing bolognese-esque sauce.... i always cook it for waaaaaaaaaay longer than, uh, 30 mins as per rach's way.
and no one believes me on how good that simple tom sauce is..... so glad you do. ;)
and i'm with em-- gladly taste testing over here!
xoxoxo.
Yes, I'll gladly be a taster. Pasta probably ships well! :) I vote for bolognese. I just had a scrumptious one at dinner last week.
I have always wanted to be Italian. I will gladly change my name to Giada for the day if it means taste testing. I will even wear a push up bra to further authenticate my giada-ness
Post a Comment