Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What's your word?

I've been busy devouring, yet savoring, Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

In the first section of the book, she visits Rome for three months. She gets in a conversation with her traveling partners where the following question is posed,

"'Don't you know that the secret to understanding a city and its people is to learn--what is the word of the street?'"

Basically, the author believes every city has a word to capture its essence. Sex for Rome. Achieve for NYC. Succeed for LA. Conform for Stockholm. People don't feel like they fit in a city unless the word they choose to represent their life fits with the word for the city.

I'd chose AVERAGE to represent EC. I think I'd chose GROW to represent the Fox Valley. But, I haven't been able to come up with the word I'd choose to represent my life.

What is the word I'd chose to represent my life? Can you sum up your life in one word?

12 comments:

Felicia said...

I'd have to say Grow. Every day, I learn something new and grow a little wiser.

justem said...

I don't know...this is a great question. I am going to think about it and get back to you!!! Once one of Justin's friends asked me to describe him in three words...and I for the life of me can't remember what they were...but he always does and always will. I don't know if they were good or bad in his mind! Now I'm on a mission to think of one word for me!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb, how are you? Great bloggin question - i'd have to say - content - really can't ask for more! Amy Mc!

Valerie said...

My word right now...happy...that's how I am, it could change...love the pickle story..too funny!!

angieoh! said...

I think (now, I am not sure if this works with your challenge but hey, here goes) I would choose RELATIONSHIPS. I think my life is really centered and grounded by the people in my life (for good and for bad). I also think that is keeping with the GB thing. Family/relationships are very important here.

Scott said...

One word to sum up a life? Great question... for me I would say "Wandering", say's a lot about how I interact in my city.

Cheers,

Scott

Kat said...

fabulous ; )
ok, maybe not really. but thats an intense question. i'll have to think about it......

Jill H said...

gosh, HAPPY =)
i love HAPPY, just being happy wherever i am in life & loving it!!!

great blog post, btw!!!

Wendy said...

Fickle.
THat is my life right now.

Becky said...

unpredictable! bwahaha!!!

Levi said...

omg thats hard

Michelle W. said...

whoa! You still read?!

ROFL

Michelle