Saturday, November 28, 2009

Philly

I was in Philadelphia last week for:
NWP Annual Meeting
NCTE Convention
Lots of Eating
Meeting Beth

I managed to fit in a little sight-seeing on Wednesday including the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. I realize both of these are somber, important, historic sights, but I found each totally hilarious. It was a tiny, Asian woman posing in front of the Liberty Bell for a photo - making a peace sign and grinning maniacally - that got the giggling started.




At Independence Hall it was the tour guide - a ringer for Yogi Bear - that made me lose it. Apparently, Independence Hall is a "no gum" zone. The tour guide screamed at not one, but two tour-ees for illegal chewing. I've really never seen anything like it.







Wednesday was also the day I met my very favorite place in Philadelphia - Reading Terminal Market. It's filled with food and more food and even more food after that. I ate lunch there three times in the five days I was in Philly: sloppy joe with mashed potatoes (and a piece of pumpkin cheesecake), slice of pizza (and an ice cream cone), and roast beef sandwich (and freshly baked cookies).






Thursday I walked and walked and walked and walked in the area of the art museum. I saw Lemon Hill Mansion (beautiful!) and the "rocky steps." I'm not quite sure what I was thinking, but I didn't put things together to realize I was going to see the steps prominently featured in the motion picture Rocky. I thought I was just going to see some steps made of stone. Imagine my disappointment (and embarrassment).

There was lots and lots of learning involved in this trip, too. Highlights include: a panel about content area thinking (Thursday), Billy Collins (brilliant!), my own session about content area thinking, Kelly Gallagher (NCTE on Saturday), and a session about reader's notebooks (Saturday, NCTE).


And, then there was Sunday. I met the fabulous Beth on Sunday. She helped me eat my way through the city, gossiped about scrapbooking, swapped teaching stories, and endulged my inner-tourist with a double-decker bus ride.







When/if I'm back in Philly I want to be sure to check out:
Betsy Ross House
White Dog Cafe
Butcher and Singer
Eastern State Penitentiary
Mansions in Fairmount Park
Ride the Ducks

And, last but not least, I feel compelled to leave you with a list of all the places I ate. Unfortunately, links will have to do, as I didn't bust out my camera at most of them.
Dutch Eating Place (Lunch at Reading Market)
Termini Brothers Bakery (Dessert at Reading Market)
Bassetts Ice Cream (Dessert at Reading Market)
Supper (Brunch)
Friday Saturday Sunday (Dinner)
Pietro's (Dinner)
Davio's (Dinner)
Vietnam (Dinner)
Farmicia (Dinner)
Whipped (Cupcakes)
Betty's Tasty Buttons (Cupcakes)

2 comments:

amyyo said...

hey, there's a new cupcake place in downtown antioch. right next to the neat italian restaurant.

justem said...

You took all kinds of fabulous photos! The tree one is my favorite, though. :)