Friday, March 16, 2012

Foodie Friday: Cheese Edition

It's been awhile since I've played along with Foodie Friday.
Today seemed like as good a day as any to jump back in.


It is a pleasure to share with you my latest poorly photographed but oh-so-tasty cheese plate.

Choice 1.
Under the dome (a gift from Em) is a personal favorite - Cremeaux.
Murray's describes it as having a "blooming" rind - what ever that means. I describe it has being total heaven. It's sort of like eating soft butter, but it tastes way more delicious.

I served it with a baguette and strawberry jam. I also really love it with a baguette and hot pepper jelly. Or just spread on some bread.

Choice 2.
In the middle is Cacio di Bosco - Pecorino with white truffles.
This is a hard cheese that smells faintly of truffles. It is salty and delicious and great for snack (except for a price tag of $30+ per pound). It's a splurge cheese for me.

I didn't serve this one with anything. I just sliced it up into little matchsticks.

Maybe some day I will buy this, grate it, and use it in Cacio di Pepe.

Choice 3.
And, on the right is Dunbarton Blue. 
It was the only WI cheese on the plate.

It's a raw milk, blued cheddar.

I attempted to serve it with bacon and honey. It was actually best eaten all by itself. The blue qualities weren't strong enough to need any accompaniment.

I would love this atop a big ol' cheeseburger.

All cheese was from our local cheese shop, Nala Fromagerie. After enough visits and enough tastes, I've really started to learn what I like.

One of my big foodie dreams is to arrange some sort of European tour of farms and cheese makers.  (I would guess such a trip would not be easy on the digestive system.) Italy and France, mostly, I would guess. Who's in?

4 comments:

justem said...

behold! the cheese dome! :)
i love cheese.
when i move to WI we can eat a lot of cheese together.

lindybasenji said...

I wish we had a local cheese shop, best we can do is Whole Foods about 25 miles away . . .

Katrina said...

ditto Tracy- I wish we had a cheese shop. Actually, now that I say that, I'm not sure if we have a cheese shop. Must google. However, my CSA is offering a cheese option this summer - definitely signing up!

Beth said...

I'm in! I'll start searching Amazon for a massive quantity of Lactaid and stretchy pants. When are we going?