Thursday, January 25, 2007

Things Overheard at a Doctor's Office

So. . . I went to the walk-in clinic today because I had a crazy case of the hives all over both of my arms. A few strange things happened along the way. . . .

Upon entering the exam room, the nurse asked me to remove my blazer. Before taking my blood pressure (the first skin-to-skin touching between the nurse and I) she demanded I put my blazer back on. She was not interested in touching the hives.

Rude?

After examining my hives, which were located on my arms, the doctor (who I've never seen before in my life!) commented on my acne. "Looks like some serious acne. Would you like a prescription for that?"

Rude?

I will admit--the rash was gross, and I do not by any stretch of the imagination have anything close to perfect skin. And I might even be willing to admit that I can be a tad over-sensitive. But, seriously. Both of these incidents made me feel completely repelling.

12 comments:

Retro Girl said...

That was rude and insensitive. Sheesh. They need bedside manner classes! As if you didn't already feel kinda bad...those jerks!

Hope you get better soon!

Rebecca said...

Wow, so rude! I wouldn't be going back there again! Sorry for your bad experience.

justem said...

What jerks. I am rashy and pimpley too....let's embrace it!

Feel better soon! :)

Colleen said...

um, ok, she's a nurse
she should know that you can't catch hives

unless she didn't want to touch them because she didn't want to irritate them and make them itchy

but, that comment about the acne?? that's just rude.

have some chocolate. you'll feel better

Steph said...

Holy cow! what jerks!!

angieoh! said...

bwhahahahahahhahahaha. I think this was even funnier to read than when you told me on the phone! I wish I could have seen your face - how RUDE!

Erin Faye said...

Totally rude!!! I can't beleive people in a "professional" role would act like that! Sick!

Georgia said...

Yes, they were both rude. You are a very attractive woman. Being in the medical field, they SHOULD be used to hives and different skin conditions. They SHOULD also be used to being sensitive to people! Hope everything clears up for you!

Jill H said...

awww, hope you feel better soon, Barb :)

Levi said...

you should send them a nice thank you letter and then at the end mention how to sneezed on it and wiped your acne and your hived arms with it... just kidding. i would've been peeved too!

Kat said...

VERY rude. i would have cried....

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and LOVE it! You do amazing work!
And as a Licensed Nursing Assistant, the nurse in this clinic was horrid. Hello? That's what gloves are made for!