So, today. . .
some non-things that are making me happy.
In no particular order (and occasionally supplemented by pictures)
1. Seasons
Even though I can't stand shoveling snow or swatting mosquitoes, I love living somewhere that has distinct seasons. It keeps life interesting.
2. Personal touches
My Girl Scout cookies came in the mail with a cute note from my littlest (although she isn't so little anymore!) cousin.
3. Words
Kids picked their favorite quotes, cut letters and words out of magazines, and made this great bulletin board in one of my favorite classrooms. Love, love, love all the words.
4. A Tradition of Creating
I've been thinking a lot lately about why I enjoy making things so much. The best answer I can come up with is my grandma. We always made things together. . . cut-out cookies at Christmas when I was a kid, baskets when I was a little older, and sewing. The sewing together was my favorite. When she was alive, I so valued being able to make things together. Now, at least one of the reasons I make things is because it is a time that makes me still feel close to her.
5. Frie-Mily
I had lunch with Angie yesterday. I have some favorite things about being friends with Angie. I love the laughing -there's always lots of laughing. I love the straight talk - she tells it how it is. I love that we've grown-up together. We helped each other through college. We got married the same year. We bought houses at the same time. I'm so excited for the next step. . . helping Ang become a mom. Can't wait to meet The Warrior!
6. Learning
I love learning things. I love the moment where I "get it." More importantly, I love the moments where I can watch someone else "get it." One of my students is working so hard to be a better reader - really working hard. He is always carrying a book around with him. The latest choice is a collection of poetry by Tupac Shakur. It's so rewarding to watch him make each poem mean something, to really work through the ideas. He is even starting his own notebook of poetry. I think - after knowing him for two years - that he is finally starting to get that reading is about more than just knowing the words, and that writing is about more than just spelling something right. Guess it just took Tupac.
What non-things are making you happy?
11 comments:
What a sweet list (like sweet "awww" and sweet "suh-weeet"...)!
I don't know what is making me happy today so I might have to just steal yours...
:)
great stuff in the blog today and I have to ponder what makes me happy
Your list makes me happy. :)
Are you really trying to make a preggers girl cry? Aren't I unstable and yelling enough? Just teasing - thanks for the sweet words - so lucky to have you too!
Soooo.....just out of curiosity...if you do all these things at the same time with Angie.....mommyhood?? Hmmmm.:)
Love the list today...very sweet!
what a great list!
i worry that i talk too much about food too. but then i think, who cares!
awesome list!
This was such a sweet list Barb. Totally made me think..might have to do this for a post!!
Love the list.
I know this might be played out, but...I'm tagging you. Details on my blog, if you want to play. But you don't have to :)
love the post.
love the list
Have only just found your blog but just know I'm going to be a regular now. What an inspirational list - I'm going to do mine in bed tonight!
Post a Comment