Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bake-a-palooza (in review)


5 women.
14 hours.
18 recipes.
Bake-a-palooza 2010.

Here is what we made:
Triple Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Eggnog Baby Bundt Cakes

Pretzel Kiss M&M Candy
Reindeer Bark
Fudge (Mama Sue's secret recipe)
Chocolate Truffles with Sea Salt

7-Layer Bars
Praline Strips (Mama Sue's recipe)
Red Velvet Bars
Toffee Squares
Candy Bar Bars (Mama Sue's recipe)

PB Chocolate Ritz Cookies (Em's recipe)
PB Cookies with Chocolate Kisses
Hot Chocolate Mocha Cookies
Egg Nog Snickerdoodles
Pecan Fingers (Mama Sue's recipe)
Candy Cane Kiss Brownie Bites (made by Stephanie)
Spritz Cookies (made by Mama Sue)

And, my thoughts on what we made. (I hope I remember to come back to this post next year as I'm planning recipes.)
  • The biscotti was just okay. It took a long time to bake, cool, and bake again. And, it was difficult to slice it thinly enough to make it seem, look, and taste like biscotti.
  • Eggnog baby bundt cakes. This recipe was actually for an eggnog pound cake. Note to self: pound cake does rise. Only fill the pans about half full. And, the recipe was just enough for 12 baby bundts. The final product was adorable, and the glaze made with granulated sugar looked like snow. I would change the glaze a little in the future - double it and omit the rum.
  • Pretzel kiss candies. I am convinced that Hershey's changed the recipe for their Kisses to make them unmeltable. Next year, I will make these again but only using Hugs. 
  • Reindeer Bark. I wasn't a fan of this. It did add some nice color to the trays, but the red Oreos were impossible to find and it was really difficult to get the bark to stay together.
  • Fudge. Keep this every year - although, it sure does take a lot of stirring.
  • Chocolate Truffles with Sea Salt. Keep this recipe, too. But, remember to make it toward the beginning of the line-up because the truffles need to sit for about 2 hours after being scooped and before being coated with chocolate.
  • 7-Layer bars. I'm not so sure about this one. I think I might be able to find a recipe that is less crumbly. These just didn't stay together very well after baking and cutting.
  • Praline strips. Although these cause quite the pronunciation controversy, they will stay on the list for every single year. Super easy to make and totally delicious.
  • Red Velvet Bars. Keep. And, make several pans just to hoard for myself. Delicious.
  • Toffee Squares. Yuck. Either find a new recipe or replace with something else in the future.
  • Candy Bar Bars. Love these and must remember to make throughout the year. . . not just at Christmas.
  • PB Ritz Cookies. Yum, but what a total pain to make. Luckily, Debbie did all the dipping.
  • PB Cookies with Kisses. Next year, I want to try a recipe with shortening instead of butter. My mom insists on using butter, and the cookies end up totally flat and strange looking.
  • Hot Chocolate Mocha Cookies. Note to self: a single batch of these makes about 36 cookies. There is, therefore, no need to triple the recipe. And, these tasted much better hot than cooled.
  • Egg Nog Snickerdoodles. While great, in theory, I wasn't a fan of these. They got really flat and really crispy.
  • Pecan Fingers. Family recipe. Will always stay on the list.
  • Candy Cane Kiss Brownie Bites. Delicious and oh-so-cute. Need to be kept separate from other treats, though, because of their minty-ness.
  • Spritz Cookies. Apparently, there are several secrets to these. 1. Soften the butter. 2. Have a good cookie press. 3. Ask your mom to make them for you.
And, some recipes I still want to try:
Oreo Truffles
Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies
Pistachio Biscotti
Sparkling Ginger Chip Cookies
Almond Roca
Hot Chocolate Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies
Salted Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Christmas Crunch
Smoky Bacon Ginger Cookies
Gingerbread Cupcakes with Orange Icing
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Candy Cane Macarons
Butter Toffee

6 comments:

Katrina said...

yuuummm. i am now putting "attend bake-a-palooza" on my must-do list.

Steph said...

I am so glad we both feel the same way about the red velvet bars. It is possible that those didn't make it to anyone's tray because I kept them all for us :)
Also, I found the "overcooked" 7 layer bars stayed together and cut much easier. Maybe because they cooked longer or maybe because we waited to cut them into bars?
Most of all, I am thankful that I get to take part in this crazy baking adventure with you every year!

sarah said...

bake-a-palooza sounds like so much fun! thanks for sharing (most) the recipies and your comments about them.

i think i need to make those red velvet bars for new years :)

merry christmas!

Erin said...

I'm impressed with all your baking. I only managed to make 7 layer bars (I make them every year and agree with Steph, cook them a little longer and wait to cut), pecan choc chip muffins, banana choc chip muffins and choc souffle cupcakes with mint cream. I intended to make frosted sugar cookies, super dooper (my family's handed down fudge recipe) and mint choc chip cookies. This week I'm thinking something with cranberries, maybe cran orange bread and pomegranate pound cake.

GretaB said...

Oh, yum yum yum! I think I'll have to bookmark this post for future reference. I love your opinions on the recipes - makes it easier to narrow down what ones to consider trying.

gabbyfek said...

i had the same problem with hershey kisses this year!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.
xoxo.