Saturday, August 22, 2009

What to Eat?

This morning I'm making a menu for the week (a la Em), heading to the Farmers Market, and going to the grocery store.

(And, I should probably also tell you that my bank called yesterday to check on the "security of my account." I was mortified when the man on the phone listed off all my recent transactions. They were all for food (and a Shutterfly order).)

In an attempt to be sure my bank doesn't need to call to check on my eating habits...here's what we'll eat this week - at home:

Saturday - Short Ribs with Tagliatelle
Saw Giada make it yesterday and couldn't resist. Plus, it's pretty chilly here today. Something warm sounds good. And, it takes HOURS to cook which means I will need to stay home for most of the day - something I was looking for an excuse to do.

Update on Saturday. . . I bought everything from my shopping list that I possibly could at the Farmers' Market. This meant I needed to empty the produce drawer in the fridge typically used to store beer and actually fill it with produce.


Dinner recipe was delish but not at all photogenic. Finished it off with some grilled peaches. I would use mascarpone instead of ricotta next time; the ricotta was gritty tasting.


Sunday - fancy breakfast and burgers on the grill
Breakfast to be eaten after Brad runs miles and miles and miles. Saw the Neely's make it yesterday. Burgers on the grill to be eaten with the B.'s. I think I'll pick up some corn to add to the grill.

Sunday breakfast was perfect - especially the bacon!




The turkey burgers were okay. They weren't dry at all - like I expected - and the sun-dried tomato mayo that went with them was pretty fab. It was all showed up by the corn ont he cob, though.


Monday - Italian Sausage and Zucchini
Perfect recipe for a stop at the Farmers' Market - where there are zucchini and squashes everywhere.

Tuesday - Turkey Sloppy Joe
A Barb & Brad favorite. We've had this recipe since we first moved in together 10 years ago, and if you asked Brad he would tell you that the only side dishes that go with this are baked beans and corn. I usually make him ditch the corn for a "real" vegetable.

Wednesday - Chicken, Pasta, and Veggies
Another perfect recipe for a stop at the Farmers' Market. Sorry. No link. Think chicken, noodles, peppers, broccoli, carrots, basil, and cheese.

Thursday - Chopped Salad with Minnestrone Soup
Is it wrong that I'm making the salad just because I want an excuse to buy lots and lots of basil?

Friday - Grilled Chicken and Salad
I have some chicken in the fridge. Need to use it in some easy recipe.

2 comments:

Steph said...

I was going to say I believe we had broccoli when I had the famous B&B sloppy joes. But yes, there were definitely baked beans too.

I'm considering meat loaf, mashed, and creamed corn this week. Are you interested? :)

justem said...

Your meal plan is so much fancier than mine!!! Everything sounds (and looks!) great!