Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Ventage Girls: Traditions

Today we are talking about holiday traditions. 

Thinking about writing this post made me all sorts of sad. Writing this post made me all kinds of sad. Tears were shed looking for pictures for this post.

New life = Letting go of some traditions I loved
New life = New traditions

I thought it would be difficult to find five holiday traditions I love. In the end, it was hard narrowing my list to only five.


1. Unfinished December Daily
I love making the album, but I never seem to make time to actually use the album.

2. Bake-a-palooza (photo circa 2008)
The holiday baking extravaganza began with just Stephanie and I in 2007. Over the years we've gotten increasingly ambitious. The tradition is on hold this year, but it will - I am confident - be back in 2013.

3. Photos with Santa
My mom has a collection of photos of us (Rob, Laura, and me) with Santa beginning in 1979 and lasting well in to the 1990s. I love looking at them every year.

4. Fancy Wrap Job
I'm the proud owner of a giant roll of kraft wrapping paper. I always put it to use at Christmas. Not quite sure what the plan is for this year.


5. The Tree Hunt
This one really brought on the tears. Cutting down a tree was always how we kicked off the holiday season. I think we started in 2000 - the first Christmas we lived together. This year, I jumped in the Bullet with Angie & Co. and carried on the tradition.

6. Christmas Eve Hors D'oeuvres 
Pepperoni, salami, Italian cheeses, olives, meatballs, Italian sausage, crusty bread, pierogies, boiled shrimp. Yum.

7. Favorite Decorations
The only thing that has been hung in my new space is an advent calendar mitten garland. Someday I will have a mantle this will hang on.

8. Lights
My parents got bubble lights as a wedding gift when they were married (December 1978). I remember loving them on our tree as a child. I made sure I had bubble lights when it came time to have my own tree. And, my mom and I have bubble lights on our tree this year.s



5 comments:

Steph said...

I was thinking about you when I was writing my post last night. Here's to creating new traditions and finding different ways to celebrate old ones.

Katrina said...

With enough advance planning, I might invite myself to bakeapalooza next year.

gabbyfek said...

i have a big lump in my throat reading this.
and might i suggest an early bakeapalooza next year? mayhaps over thanksgiving????
:)
love you.
xoxoxo.

Josie said...

creating new traditions = many new good adventures
and bakeaplaooza 2013 - can i come?

Unknown said...

Great list of traditions and wishing you many new ones!