Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Men and Women

So. . . I got home from work tonight (about two hours later than I normally do) all fired up. It was a stressful and way-busy day (the hives are back).

Some strange interactions with my husband have just reminded me that we really are different creatures--men and women, and we make some strange assumptions about each other. Here are my conclusions.

1. Women are much tougher about being sick.
I was coughing and sneezing and blowing my nose all day. It was really pretty gross. I didn't stay home. Brad stayed home because his throat hurt. He went to the doctor because he thought he had strep. The verdict? No prescription. There's nothing wrong with him.

2. Men assume women want to talk, talk, talk.
I'm having some issues with a colleague who is completely stuck in a bitching rut. All this person does is complain, complain, complain. There's never any action taken; it's just the same complaints all the time. I'm thinking about phasing the person in question out of my life because I just can't take the complaining anymore. Brad was completley amazed; he thought this was what female friendships were all about!

3. Women are more practical than men.
Brad lost a clip for a fishing shack he borrowed from a friend. Rather than go to Menard's and buy a new clip, he bought one at Office Depot. He knew it wouldn't do what he needed, but he bought it anyway. WTF!

4. Men do not understand how to react appropriately.
I ranted and raved about the complaining colleague, strange meetings at work, the stress of preparing for an upcoming presentation, etc. Brad's reaction? "What do you want me to say?" Seroiusly? He thought that was going to make me feel better? It only made me more fired up.

I need to go put some anti-itch cream on the raging hives. I really need to learn to handle stress a little better.

That's all, Folks. At least until the weekend, anyway. I'm headed to exotic Milwaukee for the Wisconsin State Reading Association convention. I bought myself a super-fab new outfit in honor of my big presentations on Friday.

7 comments:

Colleen said...

amen sista

angieoh! said...

What do you want me to say?




bhwhahahahahhahahahahaah!!!!!!!! Good luck at your conference!

Felicia said...

I know exactly what you mean. One day I was just complaining to my boss about another co-worker and he called him to tell him that I had a problem with him and try and fix the situation....I was just ranting. He thought I he was helping...men always want to fix things. Ugh!

Laurie and Chris said...

You are soooo right!! My husband is always dieing when he gets sickBut he won't go to the DR. MEN!!!

Levi said...

"I don't want you to always solve my problem, sometimes I just need to vent. So pretend you are listening that's all!"

I am soooo sick of all the bitchers and whiners in my office. It's gotten so bad lately. It's wearing me down and making me depressed.

Steph said...

okay I feel a little guilty for laughing-- but I can't help it.

I don't get the "What do you want me to say?" I get -- the look. The "I'm not sure how to respond so I'm just going to look at you and maybe that will be enough" look

justem said...

This is a great post!!!! Have fun at your convention...I am a total nerd and know how exciting they can be...seriously...i LOVE music teacher conventions!!! :)