Sunday, March 11, 2007

Rollerskating

We are devout watchers of the CBS Sunday Morning Show. My favorite parts of the show are the reports by Bill Geist. This week his topic was. . . .

rollerskating!

He went to a roller-rink that has organ music for elderly skaters once a week. It was a report of older people telling about their love affair with rollerskating. People met their spouses at the rink and continued to come. People come in costumes and do special, waltz-like dances. People are still wearing the same skates they bought in 1940. People who walk with canes come in to rollerskate. It was pretty incredible. (I'll post a link when there is one added on CBS.)

But, really? Rollerskating is quite interesting.

We have an on-going joke at our house about rollerskating. The conversation goes something like this:
Brad--What do you want to do tonight?
Barb--Go rollerskating.
We both know we won't go rollerskating; it's just my traditional smart ass response.

Molten's was my home-town roller rink. It was a place meant almost entirely for middle school kids on any given Friday or Saturday night. There were an intricate set of tubes you could crawl around in above the rink. My mom (a smart lady) knew those tubes were the ultimate make-out spot, so I was never allowed to go to Molten's on the weekends.

We once went roller-skating on a forensics trip to South Dakota. There's not much else to do there. The guys in the group went in drag, if I remember correctly.

I can't remember the last time I rollerskated. I think that's what I want to do for my thirtieth birthday--have a roller-rink birthday party. That might just be the ultimate throw-back. At least everyone has a few years to make their travel arrangements.

4 comments:

justem said...

Justin and I have a smart ass tradition like this, only it is regarding hooters...and the adult book stores we pass on the way home to UP NORTH :) When are we going to see some photos???

Kari said...

Thanks for visiting my blog:) I'd love to see a pic of the fun project with vintage china cups that you mentioned. Do you know the blog it was on? Sounds neat but I can't quite figure it out!
artsy_mama@hotmail.com
Thanks.
Kari

BRANDY said...

I love rollerskating. You have to get the brown skates with the 4 orange wheels. Then you have to request "I think we're alone now" by Tiffany to get the full effect!

angieoh! said...

I am totally in. Roller Skating ROCKS. and I might even crimp my hair and make outwith mike at the rink.

AWESOME!!!!!

then my dad can pick us up and bitch at me all the way home.

the good old days.