I'm sort of happy with what I've read throughout the summer. I made a pretty big dent in my young adult pile. Oddly enough, though, I don't think I read much that I would actually recommend to middle school kids. Most of the books were a little more edgy than I feel comfortable talking with kids about.
Thanks to Em for the fabulous sign. What a great surprise!
Fiction:
Out Stealing Horses
She's Come Undone
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Little Bee
Her Fearful Symmetry
Both Ways is the Only Way I Want It
Non-fiction:
Kitchen Confidential
Tender at the Bone
Girls from Ames
Fiction based on Frank Lloyd Wright:
Loving Frank
The Women
Death in a Prairie House
Young adult pile:
Marcelo in the Real World
Wintergirls
Flight
Catching Fire and Mockingjay
Work-related:
Savage Inequalities
Six Secrets of Change
Why School?
Mindset
Books to finish:
White Tiger
American Wife
The Help
Books I finished this summer:
Tales of the Madman Underground
Punkzilla
Looking for Alaska (re-read)
Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Stitches
Abundance of Katherines
The Glass Castle
Lake Shore Limited
Oddly enough, I didn't really read anything this summer that I was completely crazy about. There was only one thing I hated (Lake Shore Limited), but there also wasn't anything that I think every one I know should read.
What are you reading? What should I add to my lists?
8 comments:
I'm quite proud to say that out of your to-read fiction list, I've read three and started (but never finished) one. :) I am just starting Let the Great World Spin...hope it's good! :)
Have you never read She's come undone? I thought we talked about this. It's very dark, but I liked it.
She's Come Undone is on my list, Stephanie.
And, Em. I think the reason you've read so many of my "to-reads" is that a lot of the list came from you.
I love, love, love that read sign! :)
i tried to get into girl w dragon tattoo but could NOT for the life of me - i read a cute book by marian keys called the brightest star in the sky - it's long but so light, perfect summer reading!
K - the "read" sign was a fun gift from Em.
And, Virgina - what you said is exactly why I've held of on Girl with a Dragon Tattoo for so long. I've heard the beginning is brutally dull.
You DO have a blog!! So glad to find it :)
I've read a few on your list..The Help, Little Bee, She's Come Undone, and The Glass Castle. Liked them all. Just finished A Reliable Wife (ok) and Let the Great World Spin (I think that's what's it's called!). I really love to read too..usually after I have already stayed up too late scrapping though ;D
Right now I'm finishing up Interpreter of Maladies. At the beach I read Blue Star (same guy who wrote Jim the Boy), Luna (YA book w/ trans-gender character), and 2 other books that I can't for the life of me remember. I started Let the Great World Spin, but then it fell behind my bed and I haven't gotten it out again :( On my to read list: The Johnstown Flood (NF), The Hour I First Believed, Parrotfish, Rabbit Redux, Resilience by Elizabeth Edwards,and the new Janet Evanovich. Oh, and all the IRA publications that came from my conference in June that I spent 100 bucks on but have yet to open and read. (Sigh)
Post a Comment