Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fairest of the Fair

State Fair. I have made a pilgrimage most summers for as long as I can remember, and I do the same things almost every time. Most of those things are related to food. This year wasn't any different.

Menu:
Cream puffs
Fresh corn dipped in melted butter
Beer (Monkey Wheat from Lake Shore)
Baked potato
Kabobs (I didn't partake in this)
Swiss cheese dipped in rye batter, fried, and put on a stick (I didn't partake in this)
Italian sausage sandwich
Milk
More cream puffs (to-go)


My parents are such good sports.


My dad took this one.


I was feeling perfectly comfortable until I slammed two glasses of milk (one chocolate and one strawberry) in less than five minutes. Actually, I think it was the milk that did me in last year, too. Note to self for the future: only have one glass of milk.

Entertainment:
Polka band
Exhibit Hall
Home and Garden winners
Jake (the world's tallest horse)


This is my favorite picture from the day. I have no idea who these people are, but they were polka-ing like crazy. It was over 100 degrees, and they are clearly older, but that didn't stop them from dancing and dancing and dancing. I hope Brad and I are like that 50 years from now.

6 comments:

justem said...

This post makes me really wish I would have gone with you. Except the swiss cheese part. Ick. ;)

sarah said...

i guess i'm a weirdo because swiss cheese dipped in rye batter and fried sounds AMAZING! yum...

and cream puffs, really...how does a dessert get much better than the cream puff?

mmmm. fair food!

Lexi said...

How could you not partake in fried cheese on a stick? Come on!!
;)

Susan Beth said...

Oh, I wish my family had a fair tradition. We did for a couple of years to a great one, but then we moved, and the fairgrounds here are so ugly and dirty I can't imagine ever having fun there. Looks like you have a great fair!

Amy said...

I am SO glad I didn't eat anything in front of you! that way I didn't have my picture posted on your blog! LOL

Steph said...

Um, it didn't occur to me that one could get cream puffs to go. I should have requested you bring me back a souvenier from your trip!