Thursday, August 26, 2010

What I Read: Charles and Emma

I read this because it was selected for a Printz Award in 2010. There really was no other reason.


 Charles and Emma by Deborah Heiligman

Charles and Emma is a non-fiction young adult biography about Charles Darwin. Specifically, Heiligman's book is about Charles's relationship with his wife (who was also his cousin), Emma. Charles wanted to research evolution. His questions about the role of God in the creation of species deepened as his research progressed. Conversely, Emma's faith deepened throughout her life. Each trial - whether the death of her sister or of her children - made Emma more devout.

Sounds like the ingredients for an interesting and turbulent love story, right?

Wrong.

Charles is not likable. He is physically weak and sickly and constantly analyzing everything (and I mean everything) through a very scientific lens. Emma never stands up for herself. She silently supports Charles and all of his work, never really expressing her own views.

The only reason I was able to finish this was because I was stuck in a car on a very long trip.

1 comment:

justem said...

So...tell us how you really feel... ;)

PS: my word verification is cingl, which I feel could totally be like the new "phat"...