Friday, August 03, 2007

Food on Sticks

Ah, yes. I won't lie and say that I've been incredibly busy or that I've had hundreds of important things to do.

I've been lazy. Very lazy.

And I love it!

I did haul my butt out of the house on Thursday, though, to go the State Fair. The fair is an incredible place, a place where all food is fried (and usually served on a stick), a place where it's cool to be a farmer, a place where you couldn't ask for better people watching.

A big attraction of the fair--for my family, anyway--is the polka music from 11:00 - 2:30 on opening day. My grandpa will sit (with beer the whole time) listening to the music and watching the crazy, fair dancers.

I have to admit that I was completely and openly staring at a geriatric gigolo ho was jamming out at the polka tent. He was dressed entirely in white, topped off with a straw hat, and he was asking every woman over 50 who was tapping their foot or clapping along to do him the honor of a dance. This guy had the moves! It was completely one of those moments that I wished I could capture with a picture. Film couldn't do it justice.

Besides the polka music, there are some other must-dos at the fair:
giant baked potatoes (WI is the nation's third largest products of potatoes)
$0.25 glasses of milk
the dairy barn
the exhibit hall (where you can watch live info-mercials for everything from mops to lamps)
snow cones (you name the flavors)And, if you ever visit the Wisconsin State Fair you must--and I mean absolutely must--have a cream puff (or maybe two!). They are the reason I went to the fair. And, because I'm not above sharing humiliating pictures of myself, I leave you with these shots of me enjoying a cream puff. Be jealous, my friends. Be very jealous.


10 comments:

justem said...

This is why we are friends. You post about the WI fair...I post about Cheese Curds. ;) Brilliant (Wisconsinite) minds think alike!

Rebecca said...

A polka dancing gigalo, eh? You had me LOL at that one. I love fair food!

Jennifer said...

Girl, Can I just tell you that I am so in love with creamm puffs that it's not even funny??? I'm in the Midwest and can't get the really awesome one's here! Feel free to send that creamy-goodness this way!!!

Liz Allman said...

I am sitting in my living room cajoling, no begging, my out of town mother-in-law to go right now.

Robyn Weatherspoon said...

I MUST HAVE CREAM PUFFS!!!(LOL!) You just crack me up! And I truly wish I had been there with you!

Steph said...

dude! I want to go!!

Burgerfest or state fair?? what a decision!

Conibaer said...

Looks like a fun day! Those cream puffs look yummy!
Coni

Chiara said...

I used to go to the State Fair growing up and I miss it. You brought back a lot of memories.

BRANDY said...

Are you in iowa? everything on a stick? If you tell me you have a life size cow made out of butter, I am going to be very upset. LOL. Maybe we should invent a cupcake on a stick?!?! HUGE POSSIBILITIES!

Christine said...

I can't wait our fair is in a couple weeks! Glad you had fun! And I wanted to let you know that I have nominated you!! See my blog for details!